SADC Employment and Labour Sector
The main function of the Employment and Labour Sector (ELS) within the SADC Secretariat is to facilitate and coordinate the development, harmonisation, and monitoring of the implementation of policies and programmes on employment and labour matters within the context of the Regional Indicative Strategic Development Plan.
The specific Objectives of the Employment and Labour Sector Programme are to:
- Facilitate the creation of productive and decent employment;
- Promote social protection that includes social security provisioning and safe working conditions for workers and their families;
- Facilitate Labour migration for development;
- Promote labour productivity;
- Promote labour rights/ standards for both formal and informal economy; and
- Promote social dialogue through tripartite consultation in addressing industrial relations and police-making.
GFMD 2018 - Background Paper RT Session 2.1 "South-South Mobility: Trends, Patterns and Transferable Learrning"