GFMD COVID-19 Information Hub
The Chair and Troika of the Global Forum on Migration and Development are committed to supporting constituents in their response to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Migrants face multiple challenges due to COVID-19, with unique economic, social and health dimensions, while the governance frameworks and support networks that many migrants rely on face significant challenges.
In the longer term, migrants are likely to be key to recovery efforts; with migrants contributing to economic regeneration, and filling key roles in workforces impacted by disease. States that take a human-centric approach to the formulation and implementation of national responses towards migrants during the crisis are likely to benefit in the aftermath.
To support human-centric approaches, a number of initiatives have been introduced to the GFMD, including two sets of webinars; the establishment of an Ad Hoc Working Group on the Impact of COVID-19 on Migrants, Migration and Development; and a commitment to using the GFMD’s online presence to publish guidance, best practices, and case studies from our partners and stakeholders around the world.
This webpage is open to contributions from Member States, the three GFMD Mechanisms, and registered observers. To submit a document for publication, please email email@example.com.
GFMD Webinars on the Impact of COVID-19 on Migrants, Migration and Development
The Chair has announced dates, moderators and discussants for two webinars on the Impact of COVID-19 on Migrants, Migration and Development:
28th April 2020: 07:00 UTC (09:00 CET)
- Mr. Lukas Gehrke, ICMPD (Moderator)
- Amb. Pietro Mona, Government of Switzerland (Discussant)
- Ms. Roula Hamati, Civil Society (Discussant)
- Prof. Gibril Faal, London School of Economics (Moderator)
- Ms. Imen Ouardani, Deputy-Mayor of Sousse, Tunisia (Discussant)
- Mr. Menno Bart, Public Affairs Manager, The Adecco Group (Discusssant)
30th April 2020: 15:00 UTC (17:00 CET)
Click here to watch the video in Spanish.
- Ms. Cecile Riallant, IOM (Moderator)
- Ms. Bitta Mostofi, Commissioner of the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs, New York City (Discussant)
- Mr. Austin Fragomen, Jr., Chairman, Fragomen (Discussant)
- Dr. Dilip Ratha, World Bank (Moderator)
- Mr. Jose Luis Pardo, Government of Spain (Discussant)
- Ms. Helena Olea, Civil Society (Discussant)
Bios of the Moderators and Discussant
Click here to download the bios.
Webinar on Remittances in Crisis: How to Keep them Flowing
Organized by the Governments of Swizerland and the United Kingdom
16th June: 8:00 to 9:00 AM (ET time) / 14:00-15:00 (CET time)
|Name of Country||Document Title|
|Morocco||The Impact of COVID-19 on Migrants, Migration and Development|
|Switzerland and United Kingdom||Call to Action: "Remittances in Crisis: How to Keep them Flowing"|